Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Missing my mojo

I can exactly remember my last enjoyable run, April 11, 2015. Oriflamme 50k. I don't know why ever run has stunk since that one. But every day that I head out for a run I find myself hoping that 'today will be the day I get my mojo back.'

Slumps happen to everyone. No matter how enjoyable something can be, one day it just doesn't give you that same spark. I'm trying different things to push myself in the right direction. Running old routes that bring me peace. Running with someone I enjoy being around. Taking some time to do running related volunteering. But so far, zip. Zilch. Bumpkuss.

Getting aid station gear ready for SD 100.


It happened last year about this same time. I couldn't get it my enthusiasm to run back after PCT. It's an enjoyable race, so why does my soul feel like it was sucked from my body (ok, I exaggerate, but you get the idea.)?

In 4 days, a person that I immensely admire for his strength and tenacity, the person who put the initial kernel of ultra in my brain, and just one of the most freaking nice guys I know, will be running in San Diego's premiere running event. The San Diego 100 Mile Endurance Run.  Actually, a crazy handful of my friends will be running this event, but this guy asked me to pace him for a small portion of his race. So I will be out there with people running a distance my mind can't even contemplate running, for more consecutive hours than I've been awake since college. Mind boggling.

I'm so excited for his race. This has to be my tipping point. I can't be out there with so many people who enjoy running this much and not have that joy rub off on me. How do you break the slump?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Javelina Jundred 2018 Race recap

The BEFORE I'm always a sucker for a race, bc when I'm sitting in my house watching TV, any race sounds amazing. It's a gre...